Your Health and Mold

EPA Studies Reveal Indoor Air Quality is as great as 2-5 Times MORE Polluted Than Outdoor Air Levels… And Most Of Us Spend 90% Of Our Time Indoors!

health“Most homeowners believe that as long as they don’t see visible signs of mold, that their environment is free of contamination. What they don’t realize is that large accumulations of mold may be growing in areas that they cannot see such as air ducts, attics, basements, or wall cavities. Left to multiply, these infestations may produce enough organic compounds to cause allergic reactions, sickness and, in extreme cases, death.”


“Nearly 100% of all chronic sinus infections can be attributed to mold”

– Mayo Clinic 1999/USA Today

“Dramatic rise in asthma. 72% increase in children and 61% increase in adults.”

– American Lung Association

“80% of homes in America have indoor air quality problems”

– Indoor Air Quality Association

If you are manifesting any of the symptoms mentioned below as a result of being exposed to mold, contact your physician immediately.

  • Headaches
  • Runny nose (rhinitis)
  • Sinus congestion and sinus problems
  • Thick, green slime coming out of nose (from sinus cavities)
  • Coughing and resulting sore lungs/chest from excessive coughing
  • Coughing up blood
  • Difficulty breathin
  • Hives
  • Itching of the nose, mouth, eyes, throat, skin, or any area
  • Redness of the sclera (white of your eyes)
  • Skin rashes as redness
  • Sneezing
  • Sneezing fits
  • (more than three sneezes in a row, happening often)

How am I exposed to indoor molds?

Mold is found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It is common to find mold spores in the air of homes and growing on damp surfaces. Much of the mold found indoors comes from outdoor sources. Therefore, everyone is exposed to some mold on a daily basis without evident harm. Mold spores primarily cause health problems when they enter the air and are inhaled in large amounts. People can also be exposed to mold through skin contact and eating.

How much mold exposure will make me sick?

It depends. For some people, a relatively small number of mold spores can cause health problems. However, for most people it may take exposure to a large number of mold spores before health issues occur. The basic rule is, if you can see or smell it, take necessary steps to eliminate the excess moisture and remove the mold permanently.

Who is at greater risk when exposed to mold?

Exposure to indoor mold is not healthy for any living being. The following individuals appear to be at greatest risk of developing mold
related illness:

  • Infants and children
  • Elderly
  • Pregnant women
  • People with immune deficiencies (HIV infection, cancer chemotherapy, liver disease, etc…)
  • Individuals with existing respiratory conditions, such as allergies, multiple chemical sensitivity, and asthma.

(People in any of these categories should consult a physician if they think they may have been exposed to mold.)

Are some molds more hazardous than others?

Depending on the amount and type of mold present, most allergic reactions will vary based on an individual’s sensitivity to mold. In addition, certain types of molds can produce toxins, called mycotoxins, which the mold uses to inhibit or prevent the growth of other organisms. Mycotoxins are found in both living and dead mold spores.